Friday 20 May 2011

The Kangaroo and the 'Loathed' Toad

The next installment to the postcard collection was the 'Loathed Toad', a bitter, washed up music star. The Kangaroo just happens to stumble into his home in the swamp.


This was the most complex postcard that I had to build because of all the elements that make up the design. It was also one of the longer 4" x 8" ones.


The description for this postcard was very precise and there was a variety of different musical aspects that needed to be included.


These are my attempts at trying to draw the Kangaroo, who is supposed to have the toad sitting on his tummy. It was thought that the first image I drew of the Kangaroo was 'too seductive'. But the Toad 'looks good'.



This is the version of the Kangaroo that I selected, but I struggled with the form and Richard still thinks that it looks a bit seductive. However, this is definitely better than my first attempt.

The 'Loathed Toad'. (shown above)




I combined the two images from above before I coloured them and then emailed this collaboration of the Toad and the Kangaroo to Richard.




Feedback:
'It looks fine. My only comment is which way the Kangaroo is looking? Is he looking at the Toad?'






The next step was to start combining the watercolour and the brush pen sketches.








Another requirement was to include photographs of the Toad with various artists from the 80s, like Elton John, Journey and Wham!

The following is the result of all of these combinations.


I am very pleased with the end product for this particular postcard, but have not yet consulted Richard as to whether the design is suitable.

For this design, more so than the others, I was able to discuss the outcome with Richard in person. He gave me direction on what was wanted for the end product, advising me on the characters appearance, the arrangement for the many instruments etc and the general environment that the Toad inhabits. Discussing the designs face to face was very beneficial and much easier than contact via email. I found that better results were achieved this way.




These are some images of Richard and I, working on the project together and discussing ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment