Wednesday 27 April 2011

The Kangaroo and the Moon Bear

This is the second installment for the postcard collection, with this particular one being based on the Moon Bear, whom the Kangaroo befriends while nearing the end of his journey.

I researched the Moon Bear on the internet to get an idea of how to draw him and his colouring etc although first time round, I didn't get him quite right.








Again, I used the technique of merging the brush pen and watercolour layers together, using Photoshop. 





Feedback:
'I like the bear, though I had pictured him less happy because he's cold and I saw his face as old and wise. Also, that bear is a grizzly? The one in the story is a Moon Bear. The watercolour and brush pen technique looks good.'



The original watercolour layer was done in shades of black paint, but while working in Photoshop it must have altered the colours slightly, as the image above is a dark brown.






I tried sketching out an older version of the Moon Bear, making his cheeks saggier, placing bags under the eyes, stray whiskers and smaller, wiser and more tired looking eyes.


Feedback:
'Could he look a tad older, colder and wiser?'


The top left image was my next attempt at making the Moon Bear look older. I made his cheeks look a bit saggier, made his posture hunched and altered the fur around his face.
I still used shades of black watercolour for his fur, but again, it looks slightly brown, so I had to change the contrast and brightness of the image, in order to make him look similar to the real thing.

Feedback:
'Will it have context? Background etc? And could he have snow resting on his fur.'



The Moon Bear lives in a forest 'thick with snow', so I created trees to use for the background and added the snow onto his fur.




Feedback:

'The Bear needs to be more amongst the trees, not outside the forest. Bring him in.'


Here is the final postcard design.



No comments:

Post a Comment